- Working Effectively with Legacy Code
- ISBN-10: 0131177052 • ISBN-13: 9780131177055
- ©2005 • Prentice Hall • Paper, 456 pp
Published 09/22/2004 • Instock
I. THE MECHANICS OF CHANGE.
1. Changing Software.
2. Working with Feedback.
3. Sensing and Separation.
4. The Seam Model.
II. CHANGING SOFTWARE.
6. I Don’t Have Much Time and I Have To Change It.
7. It Takes Forever To Make a Change.
8. How Do I Add a Feature?
9. I Can’t Get This Class into a Test Harness.
10. I Can’t Run This Method into a Test Harness.
11. I Need to Make a Change. What Methods Should I Test?
12. I Need to Make Many Changes In One Area Do I Have To Break.
13. I Need To Make a Change but I Don’t Know What Tests To Write.
14. Dependencies on Libraries Are Killing Me.
15. My Application Is All API Calls.
16. I Don’t Understand the Code Well Enough To Change It.
17. My Application Has No Structure.
18. My Test Code Is in the Way.
19. My Project Is Not Object-Oriented. How Do I Make Safe Changes?
20. This Class Is Too Big and I Don’t Want It to Get Any Bigger.
21. I’m Changing The Same Code All Over the Place.
22. I Need To Change a Monster Method and I Can’t Write Tests for It.
23. How Do I Know That I’m Not Breaking Anything?
24. We Feel Overwhelmed. It Isn’t Going To Get Any Better.
III. DEPENDENCY BREAKING TECHNIQUES.
25. Dependency Breaking Techniques.
Get more out of your legacy systems: more performance, functionality, reliability, and manageability
Is your code easy to change? Can you get nearly instantaneous feedback when you do change it? Do you understand it? If the answer to any of these questions is no, you have legacy code, and it is draining time and money away from your development efforts.
In this book, Michael Feathers offers start-to-finish strategies for working more effectively with large, untested legacy code bases. This book draws on material Michael created for his renowned Object Mentor seminars: techniques Michael has used in mentoring to help hundreds of developers, technical managers, and testers bring their legacy systems under control.
The topics covered include
This book also includes a catalog of twenty-four dependency-breaking techniques that help you work with program elements in isolation and make safer changes.
© Copyright Pearson Education. All rights reserved.
This product is a member of the following series. Click on the series name to see the full list of products in the series.
Pearson Higher Education offers special pricing when you choose to package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students contact your Pearson Higher Education representative.
Nobody is smarter than you when it comes to reaching your students. You know how to convey knowledge in a way that is relevant and relatable to your class. It's the reason you always get the best out of them. And when it comes to planning your curriculum, you know which course materials express the information in the way that’s most consistent with your teaching. That’s why we give you the option to personalize your course material using just the Pearson content you select. Take only the most applicable parts of your favorite materials and combine them in any order you want. You can even integrate your own writing if you wish. It's fast, it's easy and fewer course materials help minimize costs for your students.
For more information: www.pearsonlearningsolutions.com/higher-education
Explore our course catalogs and see how you can customize your own textbooks.
Our library is vast, and it's all at your fingertips. Create a custom book by selecting content from any of our course-specific collections. Here, you'll find chapters from Pearson titles, carefully-selected third-party content with copyright clearance, and pedagogy. Once you're satisfied with your customized book, you will have a print-on-demand book that can be purchased by students in the same way they purchase other course material.
Browse through our list of published titles. These books are examples of original manuscripts created in partnership with local Custom Field Editors. They have been authored by instructors at specific campuses, but are readily available for adoption.
Pearson Learning Solutions will partner with you to select or create eBooks, custom eBooks, online learning courses, resource materials, teaching content, media resources and media supplements. Simply share your course goals with our world-class experts, and they will offer you a selection of outstanding, up-to-the-minute solutions.
Pearson Learning Solutions offers a broad range of courses and custom solutions for web-enhanced, blended and online learning. Our course content is developed by a team of respected subject matter experts and experienced eLearning instructional designers. All course content is designed around specific learning objectives.
For more information: www.pearsonlearningsolutions.com/higher-education/customizable-online-courseware