- Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, 3/E
- ISBN-10: 0130457949 • ISBN-13: 9780130457943
- ©2008 • Pearson • Cloth, 816 pp
Published 03/13/2007 • Instock
For combined differential equations and linear algebra courses teaching students who have successfully completed three semesters of calculus.
This complete introduction to both differential equations and linear algebra presents a carefully balanced and sound integration of the two topics. It promotes in-depth understanding rather than rote memorization, enabling students to fully comprehend abstract concepts and leave the course with a solid foundation in linear algebra. Flexible in format, it explains concepts clearly and logically with an abundance of examples and illustrations, without sacrificing level or rigor. A vast array of problems supports the material, with varying levels from which students/instructors can choose.
• A better integration of DE and Linear Algebra than other texts on the market.
• One of the most lucid and clearly written narratives on the subject, with material that is accessible to the average student yet challenging to all students.
• Highly flexible organization – Enablesinstructors to tailor the course to meet their needs.
• A greater emphasis on geometry – Helps students better visualize the abstract concepts.
• An ample number of worked examples to illustrate concepts.
• Boxed and/or shaded definitions for greater emphasis.
• Several application problems introduced in the first section of the text – Subsequently uses them throughout the following chapters to help motivate students.
• Enhanced visual appeal – Includes a 2-color design as well as a more natural, attractive, and consistent presentation of mathematics.
• Enlargement of most exercise sets – Now features over 2600 problems.
• Enhanced end-of-section pedagogy:
– Includes a list of key terms, skills students should acquire from the section, a true-false review section, and problems.
– Encourages students to take an active role in mastering each section’s concepts.
• End-of-chapter summary and some additional exercises for chapter:
– Give students a broad perspective on the chapter and encourage them to review topics on a larger scale.
– Some chapters also contain project ideas for students interested in deeper applications of the material.
• New problems in many sections – Provide additional practice and exposure to the ideas, methods, theoretical foundation, and applications presented.
• Reorganized material:
– The material on second-order linear differential equations has been moved into Chapter 6, which covers general nth order differential equations.
– Matrix functions are now introduced in Chapter 2.
– The matrix exponential function is now introduced in Chapter 5, which covers linear transformations.
• New sections added to the Third Edition:
– Sections 2.8 and 4.10 keep track of the many characteristics of the invertibility of an n x n matrix.
– Section 4.7 – Change of Basis – introduces the idea of the change of basis matrix, and how components of vectors relative to different bases are related.
– Section 5.5 – The Matrix of a Linear Transformation – illustrates how an arbitrary linear transformation between finite-dimensional vector spaces can be represented by a matrix, once a basis for each vector space has been specified, and shows how linear transformation concepts can be described in terms of matrix algebra.
– Section 5.11 – Jordan Canonical Forms – gives an elementary introduction to the Jordan canonical form of a n X n matrix.
1. First-Order Differential Equations
2. Matrices and Systems of Linear Equations
4. Vector Spaces
5. Linear Transformation
6. Linear Differential Equations of Order n
7. Systems of Differential Equations
8. The Laplace Transform and Some Elementary Applications
9. Series Solutions to Linear Differential Equations
A. Review of Complex Numbers
B. Review of Partial Fractions
C. Review of Integration Techniques
D. Linearly Independent Solutions to x2yn + xp(x)y1 + q(x)y = 0
E. Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises
Give your students choices! PearsonChoices products are designed to give your students more value and flexibility by letting them choose from a variety of text and media formats to best match their learning style and their budget.
Pearson offers special pricing when you choose to package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students, see the Packages tab.
Pearson Higher Education offers special pricing when you choose to package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students contact your Pearson Higher Education representative.
Nobody is smarter than you when it comes to reaching your students. You know how to convey knowledge in a way that is relevant and relatable to your class. It's the reason you always get the best out of them. And when it comes to planning your curriculum, you know which course materials express the information in the way that’s most consistent with your teaching. That’s why we give you the option to personalize your course material using just the Pearson content you select. Take only the most applicable parts of your favorite materials and combine them in any order you want. You can even integrate your own writing if you wish. It's fast, it's easy and fewer course materials help minimize costs for your students.
For more information: www.pearsonlearningsolutions.com/higher-education
Explore our course catalogs and see how you can customize your own textbooks.
Our library is vast, and it's all at your fingertips. Create a custom book by selecting content from any of our course-specific collections. Here, you'll find chapters from Pearson titles, carefully-selected third-party content with copyright clearance, and pedagogy. Once you're satisfied with your customized book, you will have a print-on-demand book that can be purchased by students in the same way they purchase other course material.
Browse through our list of published titles. These books are examples of original manuscripts created in partnership with local Custom Field Editors. They have been authored by instructors at specific campuses, but are readily available for adoption.
Pearson Learning Solutions will partner with you to select or create eBooks, custom eBooks, online learning courses, resource materials, teaching content, media resources and media supplements. Simply share your course goals with our world-class experts, and they will offer you a selection of outstanding, up-to-the-minute solutions.
Pearson Learning Solutions offers a broad range of courses and custom solutions for web-enhanced, blended and online learning. Our course content is developed by a team of respected subject matter experts and experienced eLearning instructional designers. All course content is designed around specific learning objectives.
For more information: www.pearsonlearningsolutions.com/higher-education/customizable-online-courseware