- Juvenile Justice System, The: Delinquency, Processing, and the Law, 6/E
- ISBN-10: 0135008050 • ISBN-13: 9780135008058
- ©2010 • Prentice Hall • Cloth, 484 pp
- Published 02/16/2009
For courses in Juvenile Justice and Juvenile Delinquency.
A market-leader, The Juvenile Justice System: Delinquency, Processing, and the Law explores all aspects of juvenile justice–from arrest, intake, adjudicatory hearings, dispositions and aftercare. Known for its depth of coverage, it maintains a legal emphasis and covers the legal rights of juveniles and landmark U.S. Supreme Court cases. Up-to-date tables, figures and statistics give readers the most current perspective of juvenile justice trends. Chapter-opening scenarios, personality highlights and career snapshots use personal accounts to capture the essence of what it means to be part of the juvenile justice system.
For courses in Juvenile Justice and Juvenile Delinquency.
A market-leader, The Juvenile Justice System: Delinquency, Processing, and the Law explores all aspects of juvenile justice—from arrest, intake, adjudicatory hearings, dispositions and aftercare. Known for its depth of coverage, it maintains a legal emphasis and covers the legal rights of juveniles and landmark U.S. Supreme Court cases. Up-to-date tables, figures and statistics give readers the most current perspective of juvenile justice trends. Chapter-opening scenarios, personality highlights and career snapshots use personal accounts to capture the essence of what it means to be part of the juvenile justice system.
Comprehensive coverage that discusses all aspects of juvenile justice–including intake, adjudication, dispositions, juvenile probation, parole, and community corrections.
A legal perspective–grounds coverage and is unique to this text.
Personality Highlights and Career Snapshots–feature professionals such as a juvenile court judge, juvenile probation and parole officer and counselor.
Opening scenarios—are based on the real-life experiences of juveniles.
New! Includes up-to-date legal cases–relating to dispositions, probation/parole revocation, rules, etc.
Chapter 1 An Overview of Juvenile Justice in the United States
Chapter 2 The History of Juvenile Justice and Origins of the Juvenile Court
Chapter 3 Theories of Delinquency and Intervention Programs
Chapter 4 The Legal Rights of Juveniles
Chapter 5 Juveniles and the Police
Chapter 6 Intake and Preadjudicatory Processing
Chapter 7 Prosecutorial Decision Making in Juvenile Justice
Chapter 8 Classification and Preliminary Treatment: Waivers and Other Alternatives
Chapter 9 The Adjudicatory Process: Dispositional Alternatives
Chapter 10 Nominal Sanctions: Warnings, Diversion, and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Chapter 11 Juvenile Probation and Community-Based Corrections
Chapter 12 Juvenile Corrections:Custodial Sanctions and Parole
Features of The Juvenile Justice System, Sixth Edition include:
• Up-to-date and interesting box materials supplementing the text, featuring key topics and contemporary themes of different aspects of juvenile justice, including school violence, drugs, and psychologically disturbed youths
• Interesting career snapshots from practitioners and scholars who work in the juvenile justice system or do research about juveniles
• Relevant and interesting Internet sites listed at the end of chapters for all topics discussed, including where to find important information for research and other purposes
• Comprehensive discussion of the juvenile justice system, including the legal rights of juveniles, landmark U.S. Supreme Court cases, and the death penalty for juveniles
• Elaborate description of how juvenile offenders are classified and processed, including the status offender/delinquent distinction and the deinstitutionalization movement
• Comprehensive discussion of juvenile corrections, including electronic monitoring, home confinement, and numerous community corrections programs
• Extensive discussion of police-juvenile relations and law enforcement options relating to juvenile offenders
• Coverage of classification systems for juvenile offenders and the decision making process relating to their placement in the community or secure care
• Discussion of the jail removal initiative and events related to housing juveniles in adult jails and prisons
• The most extensive, accurate, and up-to-date description available of types of waivers, transfers, and certification proceedings against juveniles and how these procedures interface with the criminal justice system
• Extensive explanation and description of contemporary blended sentencing statutes and recent changes concerning how violent juvenile offenders are processed
Pearson Higher Education offers special pricing when you choose to package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students contact your Pearson Higher Education representative.
Nobody is smarter than you when it comes to reaching your students. You know how to convey knowledge in a way that is relevant and relatable to your class. It's the reason you always get the best out of them. And when it comes to planning your curriculum, you know which course materials express the information in the way that’s most consistent with your teaching. That’s why we give you the option to personalize your course material using just the Pearson content you select. Take only the most applicable parts of your favorite materials and combine them in any order you want. You can even integrate your own writing if you wish. It's fast, it's easy and fewer course materials help minimize costs for your students.
For more information: www.pearsonlearningsolutions.com/higher-education
Explore our course catalogs and see how you can customize your own textbooks.
Our library is vast, and it's all at your fingertips. Create a custom book by selecting content from any of our course-specific collections. Here, you'll find chapters from Pearson titles, carefully-selected third-party content with copyright clearance, and pedagogy. Once you're satisfied with your customized book, you will have a print-on-demand book that can be purchased by students in the same way they purchase other course material.
Browse through our list of published titles. These books are examples of original manuscripts created in partnership with local Custom Field Editors. They have been authored by instructors at specific campuses, but are readily available for adoption.
Pearson Learning Solutions will partner with you to select or create eBooks, custom eBooks, online learning courses, resource materials, teaching content, media resources and media supplements. Simply share your course goals with our world-class experts, and they will offer you a selection of outstanding, up-to-the-minute solutions.
Pearson Learning Solutions offers a broad range of courses and custom solutions for web-enhanced, blended and online learning. Our course content is developed by a team of respected subject matter experts and experienced eLearning instructional designers. All course content is designed around specific learning objectives.
For more information: www.pearsonlearningsolutions.com/higher-education/customizable-online-courseware